Share the Meaning of Christmas - Despite COVID
Great Ideas for celebrating Advent and Christmas in church and community. Shared over Zoom by aroound 50 people from URC's Yourkshire Synod and Mersey Synods.
Download: Share the Meaning of Christmas Prayer Ideas
Doing Christmas Differently: activities around the Synod (please let us know your own churches’ plans, to add to this list*). All with the caveat to do so with due care for your church members and wider community, according to current regulations and common sense…
- Christingle (remember too Nicola’s Christingle conversation this Friday 13th November)
- ‘Walk-through’ Christingle (The Cornerstone, Southend)
- ‘Christingle-in-a-bag’, delivered to the doorstep
- Online Lessons and Carols (pre-recorded singers / musicians and readers, and/or live online with everyone else muted)
- The Rayleigh Posadas - Mary and Joseph will visit some homes (doorstep only) during December and be refused shelter, they will end up at the church, which does let them in. A card will be sent to all the congregation explaining the tradition this idea springs from. A video will be made of their encounters and put on the church Facebook page and website. (Revd Naomi Young Rodas, Christ Church Rayleigh)
- Advent course online
- Advent reflections online
- Advent windows across the town, to be spotted, and a prize awarded for finding them (Mark Tubby at Dovercourt Central Church)
- Filming a live Nativity retelling or tableau; editing and uploading
- Record a local school singing carols, to include in a service
- Decorate churches as usual during Advent, especially for those services being recorded in the building and those churches open for private prayer
Mission Committee were excited by the creativity being shown by the churches. The emphasis was on to trying to avoid cancelling things, and on finding new ways of doing them or new things to do.
Please let us have your ideas, or get in touch with
if you’re looking for some inspiration.